I’m David, I became a chef 12 years ago and have never looked back, studying my apprenticeship through Westminster Kingsway College with internships at the Gordon Ramsey group gave me a great foundation.
I began in restaurants in London, Barcelona and New York and slowly moved into high-end events then into private houses.
5 top tips I would give any candidate wishing to start a career as a Private chef
- Work in a clean, tidy manner at all times and be thoroughly organised, it’s an absolute must!
- Be flexible and prepared for things to often change very last minute, stay calm under pressure, keep your cool and use your initiative.
- You must keep up to date with current food trends, working as a private chef can make you tunnel-visioned.
- A confident all-round cook, from healthy breakfasts to Michelin star level desserts.
- Personality, you must be polite, well mannered, responsible and respectful of a clients privacy.
3 tips you would give a client when choosing the right private chef
- Does the food you enjoy eating match the cuisine the chef enjoys cooking. (This is important for longevity)
- Does the chef have a well-rounded skill set, from butchery to pastry, desserts to healthier diet ideas.
- Do they have relevant experience to cater to tastes, preferences and lifestyle? (if you don’t have time to nurture), are your expectations and standards reflected in their past successful posts?
1 top tip you wish you had known when you first started as a Private Chef
- People love the kitchen it is often the hub of every private house so be prepared to work while holding conversations, you can’t be head-down in silence like in a restaurant kitchen.
1 Valuable lesson/ new skill you have learned whilst working as a Private Chef
- Be prepared to be more than a chef, don’t be surprised to become a waiter, barista, porter, driver, nanny, security, gardener and a whole load more of other random exciting opportunities. You really are joining a family however always remember you are staff, not family, always remain professional!
Winning Young Spanish Chef of the Year which gave me the opportunity to work at El Bulli is something only a very small handful of people can ever say they got to do and it really started my career. It’s something very special and hard to top!
To hire a Private Chef on a temporary or full-time basis, please contact the agency and our specialist team will assist you 0203 669 7726 / firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for Chef positions, please register with us by following this link www.thestaffdirectory.com/register