Hi, I’m Amy – nice to meet you! I have been a Nanny for 10 years and what a journey it’s been!
Working as a Nanny/Children’s PA & House-manager to VIP and Celebrity Clients is not for the faint-hearted but my goodness does it offer some wonderful opportunities. I have been lucky enough to travel the world with my work and have had some truly unforgettable experiences.
What advice would you give a childcarer looking to start a career as a Private Nanny?
– ALWAYS be the most organised person in the room and one step ahead of the game. You will thank yourself later when you have 178 spare nappies and PJs out ready for after bathtime.
– MEAL PREP I always meal plan for the week and prep in advance. It helps when I’m in a rush but also eliminates food waste.
– DO NOT negotiate with tiny humans. Remind yourself that you are in charge and in control. No means no.
– BE SURE to give yourself some time to sit and eat. It’s both a must and a need!
– BE CALM take deep breaths and count to 10. You have one of the most challenging yet rewarding jobs going. You are shaping a child’s life, don’t take that for granted.
What advice would you give to a parent looking to hire a Nanny for the first time?
What have you learned since becoming a Private Nanny?
I have learnt how to be a chameleon. I can wear many, many hats in one day and have come to love that every day is different.
What has been your career highlight?
I’ve worked for and lived with my childhood heroes.
A final word
In summary, it’s been a WILD 10 years. For every low, there’s been a ridiculous high. You will learn things about the human race you never thought possible. No two days will be the same EVER.
You will love a child so much it hurts and saying goodbye to that child will be worse than any heartbreak you’ve ever felt BUT you made a difference to their lives. Without you, they wouldn’t be them. A piece of Amy will forever be in every child I’ve had the pleasure of caring for. The oldest of my ‘babies’ (to which there have been 22!) is now 21 and I thank each and every one of them for the memories.
To hire a Nanny please call 0203 669 7726 or complete our client enquiry form and request a call-back for a time to suit you.
To apply for childcare positions, please register with us by following this link www.thestaffdirectory.com/register