The role of a Houseman
Houseman are often hired as individuals, however, on many occasions, they will work alongside their partner as a Domestic Couple. In these situations, the running of an entire estate will be seen to by the couple, including housekeeping, cooking, all maintenance, driving and gardening. Only estates with extensive grounds, lakes, orchards, or conservation areas for wildlife will require an experienced Estate Manager and additional trained Groundsmen.
A Houseman can Live-in (accommodation is typically offered on-site), or they can Live-out (which would require a candidate based within 1-hour of the property).
- Sweeping leaves and clearing entrance areas
- Welcoming guests, answering the door etc
- Driving, shopping and errand running
- Car valeting and arranging servicing and MOTs.
- Assisting with gardening projects/mowing lawns/maintaining small kitchen gardens and harvesting produce
- Household maintenance and DIY tasks (candidates may have plumbing, construction, or electrical qualifications)
- Assisting with table service during any formal entertaining
- Assisting with housekeeping and cleaning of sheds, garages etc
- Maintaining outdoor furniture and equipment (BBQ’s, lawnmowers etc)